Sunday, February 1, 2009

Pasadena Green Fair






Yesterday, we all went to the Pasadena Neighborhood Green Fair. It was so nice to have a green fair right in our own area. It was at the Unitarian Universalist Church. We love going to green and eco fairs because we like to learn what's out there so that we can make good choices. We like to support companies that care about the earth and practice earth- (and people-) friendly principles. I also love to look for learning opportunities for the girls.

One of my favorite stores was there called Ten Thousand Villages which is a fair trade store on Lake in Pasadena. I think it's the ONLY local store to shop for gift-buying (unless you make it yourself!)

I also was very impressed by L.A. Guerilla Gardening, a local group that takes unclaimed ugly pieces of land and beautifully landscapes it! I would love to do a project with them with my girls sometime!

There were crafts for kids to do and Bella and Lala enjoyed decorating some boxes with recycled scraps of fabric, lace and paper.

We mostly went because we knew that Path to Freedom was going to be there with a table and we have always wanted to meet them and tell them how inspiring they are. If you want to know more about the Dervaes family and the amazing way they are living their lives, you must check out this video:


We weren't sure if the Dervaes family would actually be there, but they were, all of them, and Craig and I got to talk to each of them! We were delighted to find out that they are gracious, friendly and very down-to-earth! I especially enjoyed talking to Jordanne for quite a while. We got to see a screening of their latest film which was wonderful. It makes me want to live just like them!! I want to live off of my own garden. And Craig and I are trying to figure out where we can have a chicken coop!? The thought is so exciting! I'm getting very excited to plant our spring garden. Thanks, Dervaes, for the inspiration! It was so great to meet them. And don't forget: The prophet said to plant a garden!

2 comments:

Krista Lou Cook said...

That sounds so cool! I have some stuff from 10000 villages, I love it. I agree with living off the land. I miss our 2 acre garden we had as a kid. I asked Darilyn if she thought my landlord would mind if I used my extra parking space to place a green house. She laughed.

Shelly said...

I wish I could grow a garden and have chickens. It would be so cool. I hope to hear about you getting chickens.