Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Giant Freak Dreadlock
























After all our dreamy anniversary fun, we were hit with a big reality check on Sunday morning-- (oh yeah!! . . . we have three kids!! . . . and we need to take care of them!!)  We had almost forgotten.  Bella came to us saying her hair had gotten really tangled while we were gone.  She showed it to me, and it did look like almost all her hair had been tangled into one big knot.  But I thought that maybe after some good conditioning, it would all come out.  Craig went in to help her untangle.  The whole time, Craig kept saying what a bad tangle it was.  (I think this is when he essentially wet-felted her hair.)  I kept thinking "Don't worry, I'll get it out."  

When she came out,  

I COULD NOT BELIEVE WHAT I SAW! 

Her hair was one big, fat, giant, dreadlock.  It was seriously the size of a small cantaloupe!  It was so shocking, I felt angry and sad.  I actually started to cry because I knew it was not salvageable.  In desperation, I actually put some peanut butter in her hair remembering how well it works with gum.  But what was I thinking?  The only way out was to cut.  :(  We literally missed church because it was so bad. (Can you imagine showing up at church with your kid sporting a dreadlock like this?)  I spent the next two hours untangling and cutting out this crazy knot.  Where in the heck did it come from?  I had thoroughly combed her hair through on Tuesday night.  It was still tangle-free when we left on Thursday morning!  Well, whatever the reason, Bella now has two lengths of hair until I can take her to get a nice haircut.  We were already planning to, but just a trim.  I'll keep you posted.  But isn't that such a FREAK happening?  And isn't Bella so cute no matter what?

5 comments:

Tammy said...

OH. MY. GOSH.

I feel bad for you and understand your tears.....

When Katie was 4 years old I put her hair in tight pigtails one morning. She had bangs at the time, but everything else was pulled back. When I did her hair that morning, she told me she didn't want pigtails, but that's what I did anyway. Several hours later, I realized I hadn't heard anything from her in a while, so I went looking for her. On the way to her bedroom I found a bunch of loose hair and then 2 pigtails still in the ponytail thingies lying on the floor. She had cut ALL of her bangs off to her scalp and then cut the pigtails off at the scalp. It was horrid and I bawled for days......

Emily did the bubble-gum-in-the-hair-thing when she was little and Kayla volunteered to have Katie cut her hair when she was around 3 years old. Yikes. It seems like all girls go through at least one hair trauma growing up.

Your daughter is a darling one way or another, and it will always be a fun story to tell in the future. :)

Still..... OH. MY. GOSH. (lol)

susan said...

I laughed and laughed! This is one of the best childhood memory stories Bella will ever have! AND WITH PICTURES! She is so beautiful and good and will carry he new hair and her temporary hair with her natural grace. I just wish I could have been there!

Beehive Bazaar said...

Hilarious! Sorry to laugh, but in hindsight it must seem funny. and I love Tammy's story. Thanks for the giggle.

noelle said...

OK Beehive Bazaar is me, Noelle. I guess I was signed in under my secret name :)

chiggyz said...

k suzy i'm typing with one hand so pardon my punctuation. i love those pictures!!!!!! that is too funny!!!!! i started a blog thanks to your suggestion!!! check it out. i want to talk to you soon. i love the pics. bella is so mellow. she is a good sport!!!