Monday, January 26, 2009

A visit from the O'Brien's

Today we got a big wonderful surprise! My mom's sister (my tia) Lula, my uncle Larry and my cousin David paid us a visit. They all live in Layton, Utah but were here visiting my other cousin Lisa in Beaumont. I hadn't seen them for about two years so it was really nice to see them. We got to talk and catch up while my kids acted goofy for them. Every once in a while I got a little choked up because my tia Lula looks so much like my mom. She was even dressed so like my mom! (Oh, mom!)














Later, we went to El Mercado in East L.A. I can't believe I'd never been there before! It was a really neat cultural experience. It was seriously like shopping in Mexico with all the grains, chilies, spices, corn husks, meats, cheeses and moles. (Not the animal, but the sauce!) And don't forget the baked sweet breads and the pinatas--they had everything! We went upstairs where there is a restaurant where an excellent Mariachi band plays. We had a nice dinner and enjoyed the beautiful music. I LOVE Mariachi music! I love the way they harmonize when they sing. I love the combination of guitars, violins and horns. This group was very sharp. I wanted to request "Sabor a mi" or "El Marichi loco" but they require $10 a song! So we just enjoyed what they played.

We all had a really good time. David was so much fun with my girls making little horses out of straws and toothpicks! I'm so glad my family made the effort to drive all the way out to see us!! Love you guys!

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Yes, she's does remind me of Mommy!