Thursday, November 20, 2008

Carmen




Last night Craig and I saw Bizet's Carmen at the LA Opera. It was fantastic! All I can say is that it is simply amazing to hear this music performed live. It's funny because so many of these songs have been in cartoons and commercials but when you hear and see it live, literally watching the orchestra in the pit and seeing the performers singing on stage, you can truly fully appreciate the beauty and immensity of Bizet's wonderful music. What an opera! These songs are explosive. I especially LOVE when Carmen sings Habanera. The chorus sounds like angels. It's wonderful!

Craig and I saw Carmen four years ago also at LA Opera. I have two great stories about that time. First of all, we went with my mom and dad. My mom LOVED Carmen but she had never seen it until this time. She enjoyed it immensely. We are now sooooo glad that she got to see it because only 6 months later she was gone. Last night, I felt my mom's presence at the show.

The other story is this: I was in a "mommy and me" class with my girls at the time. The morning of the show, we went to my class and I casually mentioned to a friend that I was excited because I was going to see Carmen later. She then told me that she was going too which seemed quite a coincidence to me. She then explained that she was going with all her co-workers of the home where she is a nanny because the lady who she nannys for PLAYS Carmen! It then hit me that this friend would come sometimes with the little boy she nannied and then other days the same little boy would come with his mother. It was pretty-mind blowing to connect that this lady was a renowned international Opera star, while I had only known her as a regular mom. She is Milena Kitic. I had talked to her a few times-- she was nice. So my friend then arranged for us to get better seats at the show. We ended up on the floor maybe only 16 rows back. ($200 seats!) It was AMAZING!! I can't even begin to explain how great the view was so close up and how FANTASTIC this lady was as Carmen. I couldn't believe my eyes it was so great. LA Opera has called her "the best Carmen."

So last night was awesome, but not quite as amazing as my first Carmen experience.  I missed Milena, but we did have a wonderful time!  What beautiful music! and dancing! and costumes, and scenery! :)

3 comments:

chiggyz said...

I was just going to ask you if Milena was in the one you just saw. That would have been amazing, but it sounds like it was incredible. Remember our opera bars? I wish Naui and I could have gone with you!!!!!! I love the music so much. I need to go to the opera again. We will be going to the Ballet West Nutcracker soon so that is something to look forward to. How are you? I miss you. Thanks for sharing those special stories. I'm so happy you went with your Mom and Dad. You are so lucky to have that memory. Life is so fragile.

cynthia said...

LUCKY!!! Carmen totally reminds me of mom! She introduced me to all opera and clasical music.

Brenda said...

I think I would enjoy this most with you. We should look for an opera and/or a musical to see together this summer! I remember that story well. Mommy was totally laughing at your charmed life! Only Suzy would go to Mommy and Me with the Star AND get fabulous seats!