Sunday, October 19, 2008

Joe Jackson




Friday night, we got to see Joe Jackson at the Grove in Anaheim! Only a week ago, Craig and I had debated going and finally decided not to (because we party & spend too much!) and we also knew the only tickets left were all way in the back. So all week I tried not to think about it and let it go. I love Joe Jackson! So on Thursday, Craig called me to tell me we were going after all! He had found some tickets on Craig's list at a table in the front and center section (right behind the orchestra pit) at a huge discount! So I guess it was meant to be!

We went with our friends, Tom and Monique. Our seats were awesome! This was my first time seeing Joe Jackson while it was Craig's 5th time!! He saw him back in '79 for the first time. He and Tom saw him together in '83. And very recently Craig saw him in '06 when Ceci was tiny so I couldn't go--although he called me and let me hear much of the show! So I was really desirous to finally see him.

He was AMAZING. I just could never describe what an awesome performance he put on. He was soooooo passionate. He opened with a very soulful "Steppin Out." It was completely chill-inducing. Click here to see a really similar version. He put his whole heart into his playing and singing. Here's the wonderful set list:

Steppin' Out
Invisible Man
Fools in love (very emotional & he went into the Yardbird's "For Your Love" in the middle of it!)
Wasted time
Chrome
Cancer
King Pleasure Time
On Your Radio
Solo (So low)
Uptown Train
Obvious Song
It's Different For Girls
You Can't Get What You Want (Till You Know What You Want)
One More Time
A Place In The Rain
Encore:
Dirty Love (Frank Zappa cover)
Is She Really Going Out With Him?
A Slow Song

He was backed up by his original bass player and drummer that were his band back when he put out the albums, Look Sharp, I'm the Man and Beat Crazy. They were fantastic! I am soooooooo happy I finally go to see "the man!" What a beautiful performance.

2 comments:

Brenda said...

You concertaholic! My kids always make fun of me because I keep calling Jack Johnson Joe Jackson. Now I'll show them who he is!

chiggyz said...

How fun!!! You guys do the funnest things. Hi to Tom and Monique!!!