Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Butterfly Update

So very early on Craig's birthday, I went to check on our butterfly and chrysalises. I found that one of the wings on the butterfly was actually stuck to the ground!! :( I felt so terrible for her. I didn't know what to do, but I decided to wet it a bit and then I very gently unstuck it's wing from the bottom. My surgery was successful, although her right wing was sadly permanently bent because she didn't come out of her chrysalis properly (which I guess is why she got stuck?) I felt so bad, but then I gave her some agave water and she ate with her proboscis!!





Minutes later, the 2nd chrysalis opened! I don't know how I missed it, because I was very nearby reading. I was determined to see the 3rd one open, and stayed watching. As soon as I walked away for 2 minutes, I came back and it was open!! These two opened perfectly and were very healthy and active. The girls were still asleep when they opened, but they woke up right after and were so excited to see them!

We made sure to give them their nectar. (Probably too much!) At one point later in the day, one escaped and Bella and Ceci got to hold him!!

It is so neat to have butterflies in the house. I've thought about keeping them for a week and then letting them go. It would be neat to see mating or egg-laying, but how do I know if they are male or female?

By the way, our first butterfly, never really thrived. She just didn't seem to be able to orient herself. So today, I decided to gently euthanize her by putting her in the freezer. I just didn't want her to possibly be in pain. I felt HORRIBLE about her and worried that it was my fault that she got stuck and had a bent wing (because she was on the ground, and not hanging) but many of my home schooling friends assured me that they've had healthy butterflies that had also fallen to the ground. I hope her spirit is flying somewhere!!

No comments: