Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Happy Cinco de Mayo!



Being a Tuesday, we kept things pretty mellow. I would have loved to have gone to watch some good folklorico dancing, or to have seen some Mariachis, but we just put on our beautiful Mexican dresses and went to the park! Then for dinner, we went to Caramba! I just needed some delicious Mexican food to fill my half-Mexican soul! My brother-in-law happened to come over that night and he is from Puebla, where the battle of Cinco de Mayo happened. It is not the Mexican Independence day as many assume, (that is Septmeber 16th) it is a celebration of the Mexican Army defeating the French in 1862 when the French had invaded and were attempting to occupy Mexico.

Nowadays Cinco de Mayo is more a celebration of the Mexican culture in general, more celebrated here than Mexico!! (with the exception of Puebla!) My brother-in-law thinks it's to sell beer! Okay, that's it for the history lesson. FELIZ CINCO DE MAYO!!

No comments: