Tuesday, May 26, 2009

So thankful my baby is okay.


We had a nightmare experience this past weekend. Our precious little Ceci got a hold of some medication and accidently overdosed. Before I say more, I will clarify that she is TOTALLY FINE now. There are no lasting effects from what she took. We are so grateful (but still a little numb.)

Ceci took the medication on Sunday right after church--we had no idea. But she was high as a kite, talking incessantly. To be honest, it was actually really cute at first. But after an hour or so, her behavior started to concern us and I started to think she might have taken something. So I called poison control and told them her symptoms and they told us to take her to the ER right away. The fear was that she could possibly have heart problems or seizures. One big blessing was that the attending doctor was my friend from a mommy and me class! She was so wonderful to us. But my poor, precious baby, what a nightmare experience she had! :( She vomited several times, (all over me!) had to get an iv (they had to stick her in two places to get it right, and then to draw blood, they had to stick her 3 times, 3 different people because it was so hard to find a good vein.) It was AWFUL--very hard for me to watch. There she was, trippin' and being stuck with needles. She did a lot of screaming and crying, poor sweet baby. It was very, very hard.

The biggest blessing is that Craig was able to put his hands on Ceci's head and give her a priesthood blessing. He blessed her that she would make it through everything totally fine. That was a huge comfort. What was remarkable is that she talked non-stop the whole day and night, but she was totally silent during the blessing. She was given an antidote which finally calmed her a little. She finally fell asleep at 2am. Then at 5am we were taken by ambulance to the Huntington Hospital because they felt she needed to be observed longer. That's where she and I spent our Memorial Day. (No fun festivals for us!) They did more poking and prodding which was very upsetting, but she finally fell asleep again (she was still a little high.) Eventually, she came down, and really slept. When she woke again, she got to watch lots of Beatrix Potter videos which were such a comfort--we really like those. She also enjoyed all the fruit they brought her. We checked out last night around 7pm. It was so nice to come home.

We are now just so grateful that she is okay! I know many people have it much worse, with more serious and chronic health problems. When I saw the other children in the pediatric ward, I realized how truly blessed we are to have three very healthy little girls.

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

Thank Heavens!! I am so glad she is all right.....what a scary thing to go through!

JenRocks said...

So glad to hear she is alright! I can only imagine the nightmare from a parent's view - thank goodness for good doctors/nurses! Your daughters are so precious! Love ya, Jen :)

bwyatt said...

Wow Suzy how crazy!Me and Ceci have something in common. I ate a bunch of pills when I was around her age as well and had to go to the hospital and have my stomache pumped. I don't remember a thing. I just was recently told by my sister about what happened. I'm glad she's okay.

Shelly said...

How scary!! I am glade to hear Ceci's ok. Did they ever figure out what she took?

Tammy said...

Oh wow...that must have been so scary. I'm glad she is fine, and that YOU, Mama, made it through it fine, too.

bwyatt said...

Ceci told me the story on Sunday. Poor thing. Sophie sure loves playing with her on Sunday's and I love seeing Sophie play with girls her age. With her brother and all those boys in nursery she doesn't get to much. Plus all her cousins her age or older are all boys. Ceci is a sweetie and so articulate.