Thursday, May 14, 2009

Releasing our Butterflies!














Today we decided we should let our two painted lady butterflies go. We really didn't want to, we wanted to observe them longer, watch them eat and flit around and possibly see mating or egg-laying? But they really didn't seem happy! They were so eager to get out into the world!

We did this for our circle time. We watched them eat one last time and then read "Waiting for Wings" before releasing them.




Watch our Video!

By the way, right after I turned off the video, Lala DID get a turn and then so did Ceci for about one second! Then the butterfly shot straight up to the sky like the first one did!! What a beautiful experience!









Afterwards, we read "The Butterfly" and then I put the girls up on my feet and let them pretend they were flying too. It must be so fun to be a butterfly!

I am so glad I videoed this, because now we'll always have the memory of exactly how it happened!! Butterflies are meant to FLY!!

2 comments:

Jen said...

I loved this unit every year with my students! I hope you look forward to doing it again!

Tammy said...

Oh, this is so sweet. We sure loved releasing our butterflies last year.

Kayla studied crickets a month or so ago, and we bought one from the pet store to observe and feed for a few days. On warm nights we can hear her (Kayla named her Alice) chirping us a pretty bedtime song just outside our windows. :)