Monday, June 15, 2009

Bella's Baptism


Yesterday was Bella's baptism day. It was a beautiful day. We were so blessed because the day before, two of my sisters arrived with their families: Brenda, (from Japan!) with her 5 kids, Joshua, Brandon, Zak, Summer and Elijah, and Cindy and her husband Doug, (from Utah!) with their 3 boys, Josiah, Ezra and Zeke. My sisters were wonderful because they helped me with all that I needed to get ready. It felt so good to have them here! I had spent the entire day buying groceries and running LOTS of errands and I still had lots to do and they helped me do it. (Lots of fruit and veggie chopping!) My other sister, Yvonne, was helping us by picking up some things that we needed from the LDS bookstore-- we wanted to give Bella her own set of scriptures and needed some other things.

Bella's special day started with our regular church meetings. It was exciting for her to have so many of her cousins with her in primary. After church, we went home for a quick lunch. We needed to get quickly back to church because we were attending another baptism first-- the baptism of our very dear friend George Ramirez, the husband of my very dear friend Amanda. It was a VERY SPECIAL baptism! It was truly a dream come true to see George take this wonderful step!

There were about 30 minutes until Bella's baptism. I got her ready in her white dress so that I could take a picture of her in it with Craig in his white clothes. I also snuck in a picture of our family and one of her and I. (If you look at Ceci in the family picture, this will give you an idea of how she acted the whole baptism.) Then I slipped Bella into the dress she would actually be baptized in!

Now there is a reason why she had two dresses-- one was to be baptized in, and then one was to wear when she dried off, and got confirmed. The dress I made her was not to get wet in, but to wear to be confirmed in. Most kids are usually baptized in a little white jumpsuit. But I had a beautiful dress given to us by my sister Brenda and there is a nice, (but long) story to it! When my oldest sister, Brenda, was baptized, my mother made her a beautiful white dress. She was baptized in it on a Saturday and then it was washed and dried and then the next day, she wore it again to church to be confirmed in. Then when I turned eight and was baptized, I wore the same dress the same way. Then my younger sisters, Yvonne and Cindy also wore the same dress in the same way! So it was a very special dress. SO . . . when Brenda's daughter, Summer, was baptized, my brother's mother-in-law, who is an excellent seamstress, made a replica of this very special dress. (Our original dress became too old and yellow) So now all our girls can be baptized in this second gorgeous dress!! And nowadays, children are baptized and confirmed on the same day rather than a Saturday and Sunday. So you need to have something to get wet in, and then dry clothes for afterwards. So this is why Bella has two dresses!

We were blessed to have many very dear friends attend. Almost my entire family was there. Yvonne and her family came--Daniel, Sophia, Hyrum and Amelia. (My sweet nephew Aaron was not able to come because he was feeling very sick and so Hector had actually taken him to the ER-- he was very missed-- and I'll explain later what happened to him!) My brother Harold and his family-- Sandra, Yazandra, Arianna and little Harold all came. It was wonderful. We were also blessed to have my cousin Lisa and her family, our dear friends, the Frasers, my dear friend Lori and her daughter Natalie, and my dear friend Lisa Busch and her family!! Of course, Brieanne and Eric Rice were there. We also had two families from our home schooling group come! We were also blessed that many of our beloved ward friends attended-- many of Bella's classmates and long time friends from primary--Luke, James, Logan, Forrest and Riley and their families.

Amanda made Bella a GORGEOUS book for people to sign for Bella. I can't get over how beautiful it is!! Bella got some wonderful messages in it. I wanted it for her so that she would be able to remember this special day and who came forever.



And here is the program-- the front, inside and back. Bella drew the cover!!






























We planned a very special program. We began by singing the song, "Baptism," one of our very favorite songs.

Baptism
Jesus came to John the Baptist, In Judea long ago,
And was baptized by immersion In the River Jordan’s flow.

‘To fulfill the law,’ said Jesus, when the Baptist questioned why,
‘And to enter with my Father In the kingdom up on high.

Now we know that we must also Witness faith in Jesus’ word,
Be baptized to show obedience, As was Jesus Christ, our Lord.


Then Sophia gave a very sweet opening prayer.

Then my dad gave a wonderful talk on baptism. He told Bella some special stories of his own childhood and baptism.

Then Bella and Olivia got up to sing "When I am Baptized"

Olivia was going to sing the first verse and then Bella, the second verse. We had practiced a lot, and Lala never seemed nervous before. But sweet Lala got cold feet. When it was time to start, she shook her head and said "No." So some of us just started singing for her from the audience. Then Bella just took over and sang the whole song, beautifully in the microphone. It was really nice.

When I am Baptized
I like to look for rainbows whenever there is rain
and ponder on the beauty of an earth made clean again.

I want my life to be as clean as earth right after rain.
I want to be the best I can and live with God again.

I know when I am baptized my wrongs are washed away,
and I can be forgiven and improve myself each day.

I want my life to be as clean as earth right after rain.
I want to be the best I can and live with God again.

Then we went into the room with the font where Bella was baptized by Craig. It's a small room, so it was very crowded! Ceci was being super fussy because she had not napped. She made me hold her and was crabby and wiggly. I wish I could have enjoyed the moment a little more! Bella only had to go under the water once. In our church, we baptize by full immersion and if a toe or a hair goes up, it's needs to be done again! Bella was so happy when she came out of the water!!

We went to get her dried off and dressed while everybody went back into the chapel. We showed an animated video about Jesus being baptized to everybody while they waited. Bella's cousins, Summer and Sophia helped her get ready and brushed her hair.

When Craig and Bella were ready, we went back into the chapel. Grandma Ginny then gave a sweet talk about the Holy Ghost. She shared some very special experiences about how the Holy Ghost has guided her in her own life.

I then sang one of our very favorite songs, "If the Savior stood beside me." We try to sing this song almost daily in our home, especially when we get grumpy!

If the Savior Stood Beside Me
If the Savior stood beside me, would I do the things I do?
Would I think of His commandments and try harder to be true?
Would I follow His example? Would I live more righteously,
If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me?

If the Savior stood beside me, would I say the things I say?
Would my words be true and kind if He were never far away?
Would I try to share the gospel? Would I speak more reverently
If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me?

He is always near me, though I do not see Him there
And because He loves me dearly, I am in His watchful care
So I'll be the kind of person that I know I'd like to be
If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me.


Then Bella came up to be confirmed. Confirmation means to be given the gift of the Holy Ghost. Because Craig holds the priesthood, he has the authority to confer the Holy Ghost. Bella sat in a chair and Craig placed his hands on her head and told her to receive the Holy Spirit. He was assisted by my brother Harold, my brother-in-law, Doug, our Bishop, Bishop Halverson, my cousin Lisa's husband, Todd Sowell, Craig's second cousin, Morris Bird, and our home teachers, Shaun Jorgensen and Ben Willardson. Craig then gave Bella a very beautiful blessing.

After the confirmation, all of the cousins sang "When Jesus Christ was Baptized." They did a fantastic job.

When Jesus Christ was Baptized
When Jesus Christ was baptized
Down in the River Jordan,
Three members of the Godhead
Were present there in love.
The Father spoke from heaven
When Jesus Christ was baptized;
The Holy Ghost descended
As gently as a dove.

And now when I am baptized,
I’ll follow his example—
Be baptized by immersion
Through sacred priesthood power.
Then I will be a member
Of Heav’nly Father’s kingdom
And have the Holy Spirit
To guide me every hour.

Then Bella was welcomed by the Primary as a new member and then by the bishop.
We ended by all of us singing one of our family's very favorites, "My Heavenly Father Loves Me."

My Heavenly Father Loves Me
Whenever I hear the song of a bird
Or look at the blue, blue sky,
Whenever I feel the rain on my face
Or the wind as it rushes by,
Whenever I touch a velvet rose
Or walk by our lilac tree,
I'm glad that I live in this beautiful world
Heavenly Father created for me.

He gave me my eyes that I might see
The color of butterfly wings.
He gave me my ears that I might hear
The magical sound of things.
He gave me my life, my mind, my heart:
I thank him reverently.
For all his creations, of which I'm a part.
Yes, I know Heavenly Father loves me.



Then Arianna gave the closing prayer. It was a beautiful service. Bella was so happy and we felt so loved and supported by friends and family.

We were blessed to even take a big group picture at the end, thanks to Brenda's awesome suggestion!













Bella with the brethren who stood in her confirmation circle.

Bella with our Bishop, Bishop Halverson.

Bella with all her cousins on the Phelps side!






Our family with Grandma Ginny.

















Back at home, we were blessed to have family and friends over for dinner. We had taco salad and fruit salad. Bella LOVED being surrounded by her cousins and beloved friends. This was when we found out that poor Aaron's (Yvonne's son who went to the ER) appendix burst and was literally in emergency surgery. It was mind-blowing! Of course, Yvonne was very upset and we were worried. Thankfully, we also all felt that everything would be fine. Today we know his surgery went well, and he's in recovery. I surprised Bella with a cake with her picture on it. She loved it!! We had a great night relaxing with all our family and Bella received some wonderful gifts.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

It was a beautiful day. I'm happy we could be a part of it.

bwyatt said...

Congrat's Bella. Sorry I wasn't there. Looks and sounds like everything went well.