Sunday, September 28, 2008

Art classes at the Armory







On Wednesday, Bella and Olivia started art classes at the Armory up in Old Town Pasadena. Bella's class is actually a "fun with drama" class where they will do beginning acting, but they will also be making their costumes and scenery. They will end with a performance in December where Bella is going to play a mouse. Lala's art class is making art based on planes, trains and rockets. She already built a rocket out of cardboard that she's going to cover in paper mache next week.








So Ceci and I got to wander around Old Town during their classes. I love Old Town! We wandered over to this beautiful courtyard only one block down that I love-- right by the Old Town Pub. There is the coolest store there called the Majestical Roof that sells work all by local artists. I was delighted when I walked in the hall of the courtyard to see that an artist installation had been put up--1000 hanging magnifying glasses in 5 varying sizes (hung with over one mile of wire!) It looked sooooooooo cool! Then I looked across the courtyard and there was a little gallery open next to the Majestical Roof! It was full of ceramic art. It was so well done that I had to snap a couple pictures. I was fortunate enough to meet the artist, David Lovejoy, who happened to be stopping by. He did the ceramic work and the installation. He gave me a mini-tour of his work (while I kept Ceci from breaking it!). It was really neat, he does a lot of raku firing and likes to make his surfaces look something like excavated artifacts. It was so inspiring because ceramics and sculpture was my major in college (feels more like a past life.) It got me thinking about how I might be able to bring art back into my life a little more. I plan to start by attending the Art Night Pasadena coming up on October 10th. David will be having an opening reception that night as well. I want to encourage any local friends who read this to consider attending. It should be pretty fun!




So I'm really glad the girls are taking these classes. They really enjoyed their first day!

1 comment:

GrittyPretty said...

It got me thinking about how I might be able to bring art back into my life a little more.


Suzy, you are such a talented artist! I'M EXCITED FOR YOU TO BRING THE ART ON! I bet your girls are artistic too. what fun classes for them. You have such a cultured life.

xo!