Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Harvest and Michaelmas Celebration!

Yesterday we got to celebrate harvest time and Michaelmas with our Waldorf home school friends. We had sooooo much fun and got to make many new friends. We have been so blessed to connect with so many wonderful home school families that share our educational philosophies. And what a blessing that so many of our new friends are little girls! (So many times my girls have been the only girls among many boys!)



Our gathering started with a delicious lunch.












Afterwards, David, an expert in wheat braiding (who has worked doing it at the Renaissance Fair for 12 years) taught us to braid wheat. He is very talented as you can see by this example! He taught me how to do the compass (4 strand) braid. My girls are a little young for braiding, (they wanted to play more than anything else) but I brought some wheat home so we could try it again.











After braiding, we heard a story from Lana about the harvest and the origin of the scarecrow.
Then Jennifer led us in the making of a scarecrow!


We had so much fun that 4 hours passed very quickly. These are our friends that we are going to start having nature walks with on Fridays. We are so blessed to have these friends.

6 comments:

Tammy said...

What fun! I LOVE the scarecrow and the wheat braiding is beautiful. It's so nice to have a waldorf group of ladies in my area too. Nice to meet with like-minded homeschooling mamas. :)

susan said...

this seems soooooooo delightful. you're children are so blessed.

Rachel G said...

Suzy, I'm a good friend of Raquel SmithCallis, and also friends with Susan Krueger Barber. Raquel gave me your blog address, and I've been keeping up with you ever since! I just love you and your family and all the things you do!

Ramona said...

I love the picture of your house--so California! We are coming there (Pasadena) this weekend for Chris' 20th class reunion! The soup looks so good too, I think I'll make it for dinner tomorrow. I saw Raquel the other night and thanked her so much for making it possible for us to get back in touch!

GrittyPretty said...

Hey Suzy,
I can't get enough of the suzy lifestyle! thanks for sharing it so beautifully. i wish you lived close. i'm totally going to start celebrating all the waldorf holidays. I need to find their calendar.
xo,
quel

cynthia said...

How fun! I want to make a scarecrow!!