Thursday, September 4, 2008

When I say, "I am a Christian"

When I say, "I am a Christian," I'm not shouting, "I've been saved!"
I'm whispering, "I get lost! That's why I chose this way"

When I say, "I am a Christian," I don't speak with human pride
I'm confessing that I stumble--needing God to be my guide

When I say, "I am a Christian," I'm not trying to be strong
I'm professing that I'm weak and pray for strength to carry on

When I say, "I am a Christian," I'm not bragging of success
I'm admitting that I've failed and cannot ever pay the debt

When I say, "I am a Christian," I don't think I know it all
I submit to my confusion asking humbly to be taught

When I say, "I am a Christian," I'm not claiming to be perfect
My flaws are far too visible but God believes I'm worth it

When I say, "I am a Christian," I still feel the sting of pain
I have my share of heartache which is why I seek His name

When I say, "I am a Christian," I do not wish to judge
I have no authority--I only know I'm loved

--Carol Wimmer

A friend emailed this poem to me today. I felt it so deeply, I just had to share.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Very nice. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

chiggyz said...

That is a great little poem. I went to a Community Christian Church yesterday and I was reminded how Christ really is there for us in our time of need. The sermon was on a photograph of Monterey Bay so it was very emotional for me since that is where Anthony spent so much of his life and where he died. Anyway, thanks for sharing that poem with us.