Sunday, September 14, 2008

Celebrating a life

So yesterday was the memorial service for my friend's wonderful wife. I woke up very early to be in North Hollywood by 8:15 for a sound check and some run-throughs. I've never sang at anything that made me so nervous! I'm not sure if it was because of the sadness of the situation or the fact that the song is one of the most difficult I've ever learned. The melody and the timing were so hard to grasp.

I think I was terribly nervous because I felt so bad for my friend--my heart was just breaking for him.

The service was the most beautiful I've ever attended aside from my own Mother's service. It was truly a celebration of her life! It was at a lovely Methodist church with gorgeous stained-glass windows. The chapel was overflowing with people (many standing) and it was clear this woman was beloved. The service began with a wonderful sermon by my friend's own father who is a Methodist Reverend. He said so many beautiful and comforting things. What I remember most is that he talked about what a gift life is. We then sang a hymn together with very comforting lyrics by Horatio Spafford. "It is well with my soul." I really needed to sing/hear this song.

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Refrain:
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.

But, Lord, ’tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
Oh, trump of the angel! Oh, voice of the Lord!
Blessed hope, blessed rest of my soul!

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.

The program went on to have some beautiful musical performances interspersed with spoken tributes. Each speaker had such sweet, wonderful and even funny things to say--we were laughing and crying. Everyone who spoke of her called her their best friend. I know this woman was a truly wonderful person. It was so incredibly emotional. It was hard to keep composure when I was trying to be prepared to sing.

The musical performances were all beautiful. The first was a woman singing a moving a cappella version of Ave Maria. Then another woman sweetly sang "Blackbird" (Beatles) accompanied by guitar. A gentleman then played "Running up that Hill" (Kate Bush) on piano. That one nearly killed me it was so heartfelt. Next thing I knew, it was our turn to sing "In my Life," (Beatles) which I sang harmonies on with my two friends, Julian and Steve. Steve played guitar and Taylor played cello. I was very happy with how we did it.

The song to end the memorial was "Calling All Angels." On the inside, I was a basket-case. How was I going to sing this song standing right in front of my widower friend and his little daughter? I walked up, and somehow felt like I was a puddle on the floor. All the emotion had melted me. In my heart I asked God to help me do my very best. Steve and Taylor each played wonderfully, their music truly touching our souls. And I sang with all my heart as I watched my friend cry. I put everything I had into it. Steve sang sweet harmony with me. I know the angels were with us too. Somebody told me later that during our song the sun came out from behind the clouds and shone through the doors and windows. So many people said they loved our song including my friend.

I am just so grateful that I had this opportunity. I know God sent this song to me at a time when I am experiencing my own personal heart-breaks and I really needed it. I am so glad I could support my friend and honor his wishes for the memorial. He said that his wife had recently downloaded the song onto her itunes so I couldn't help but feel it was her wish too. Please continue to remember my friend and his daughter in your prayers.

6 comments:

cynthia said...

oh man, Suzy this post has me balling right now! Poor sweet man. What a privilage though to ask you to sing for it! I know it was probably nerve racking but what a wonderful experience to be there and be part of it! I listened to the song as I read...wow. How did she die? Well, I hope all is well for you. Life is exhausting huh?

Brenda said...

Wow, I just read your last few post and you have me crying. Now I'll have a headache form trying to hold back the tears. What a beautiful song and beautiful poem. I wish I could've been there to hear you sing. I will miss your band too. But I'm sure you made the best choice. Sometimes we have to eliminate wonderful things because we just can't do it all. I hate making those choices. I love you and i miss all my sisters right now!

Suzy said...

Oh sisters, thank you for your supportive comments. It's been a very emotional time.

Yes, Brenda, I do have to say I definitely did eliminate something wonderful-- I'm trying so hard to get over it . . . it was a very hard choice.

I miss you all too!

chiggyz said...

Wow--I am all choked up right now Suzy. What an incredible experience. I want to talk to you more about your friend and his wife. I am so sad!!!! I love the lyrics to that song. I am certain you were amazing and I wish I could have been there. Totally awe inspiring.

GrittyPretty said...

wow suzy,
you really came through for them and i know as a general rule you just always come through for people. i admire that so much about you. i know you've been having a hectic schedule with so many demands on your time. i love what you do with your life and send my love your way.
xo!

Ramona said...

Hi Suzy--we are so excited to find your blog--we are friends with Bridget and Richard and Raquel and Oliver. First we were looking at Bridget's blog and saw a comment from you. Then, we were looking at pix of Chris and the kids on Raquel's blog and noticed your link. You, Craig, and the kids look wonderful! We would love to hear from you! There's a link to our blog on Raquel's. Love to you all!!