Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Il Trittico



WOW. Last night Craig and I went to see the opera "Il Trittico" at the Dorothy Chandler Pavillion. It was amazing. I've been in awe all day of how beautiful it was. I keep trying to figure out how I can go back and see it again this Friday, which is the last performance. It was soooo good!  We had not seen an opera since we saw "Carmen" four years ago so it was kind of exciting to be back at the Dorothy Chandler (although our favorite will always be the Capitol Theatre in Salt Lake City.)

"Il Trittico" was written by Giacomo Puccini.  It was the last opera he completed. (He died while writing "Turandot," my personal favorite.)  He wrote some of the most famous operas including "La boheme," "Tosca" and "Madama Butterfly."  I LOVE him.  

"Il Trittico," (the triptych) is comprised of three one-act operas.  They were each wonderful!  The common thread of the three is death, but each story is completely different.  The first, "Il Tabarro" ("The Cloak"), is the story of a torrid love triangle that ends tragically. This story was beautiful and passionate. It left me aching and crying. The next, "Suor Angelica" ("Sister Angelica") is the heart-breaking story of a cloistered nun that longs for her child that she was separated from. The ending is first tragic, but then redemptive. It was so beautiful, I cried even harder. To lighten things up, the last opera was "Gianni Schicchi," a romantic comedy about a recently deceased uncle and what his family (and Gianni Schicchi) do to change his will to their likings. This was directed by none other than Woody Allen. It was adorable (but a little racy at times!) The set was amazing!! And it was so nice to end on a happy note. I have seen "Gianni Schicchi" before, but this performance was hands-down better. The song "O mio babbino caro," is from this opera, which was made famous from the movie "A room with a view." The soprano knocked it out of the park, it was so wonderful!


The show was 3 hours and 45 minutes-- I just sat there mesmerized, so blown away by what opera can do. I felt transported physically (to the settings) and emotionally (to the feelings of the characters.) Opera makes you feel on such a deeper level. I left wishing we'd all sing to each other, rather than talk to communicate. I think I could do that! What a beautiful language music is. Thank you, Puccini!!

If you are interested, please click here for a nice sampling from the opera on youtube--it's really good. If you want to read the synopses of each story click here. PLEASE DO, they are so beautiful--- you might find your own eyes welling up. If anyone out there can go this Friday, please try to go! laopera.com
And take note that "Carmen" is coming in November!

4 comments:

Lorell said...

Oh you make me want to see it Friday. I wonder what I can work out!

The last time I was at the D.C.P. I saw La Boheme. ahhhhh beautiful.

BTW, You are totally smokin' in that picture

chiggyz said...

You guys look so good!!!You make such a handsome couple! What a fun date! Wish I could have gone!!!

Brenda said...

Sexy Momma!

GrittyPretty said...

you have so much heart. i love how you describe your reactions to events. it makes me want to go to all the places you go...