Sunday, September 28, 2008

L A County Fair


On Friday, Craig and I took the girls to the LA county fair.  We forgot our camera, so we took pictures on Craig's phone.  I guess we need a special cord to upload the pictures onto the computer so I can't show any yet!  But I will try to upload them soon.  So here's a picture I found online.  :)  

The fair was heaven and h*ll.  We literally had to walk through tons of h*ll to get to the heaven.  But it was worth it.  And thankfully, my friend prepared me so I knew-- and I had prepared the girls. :)  At the entrance that we entered through there was a HUGE carnival.  There were booths selling all kinds of junky food, junky toys, and tons of too expensive rides!  But we went because we wanted to see all the wonderful animals.  (If we want a carnival, we'll go to the Santa Monica pier.)  After walking (in extreme heat) for what seemed like forever, we finally got to the part of the fair that had all the animals!!  And it was well worth the walk.  

First, we saw pigs!  We saw two HUGE mamas nursing their little baby pigs.  It was sooooooo cute!  There were tons of little baby piglets--many of them sound asleep.  They were adorable. Then we heard there was going to be a cow milking demonstration so we went to see that.  It was interesting.  I thought someone was going to show us with their hands, but instead, they put these suction tubes onto the cow's teets to draw the milk out.  I guess that's the way its done now, so that's the way they demonstrate it! I wish we could have seen them milked the less industrialized way. :)

We saw many, many types of cows.  We saw horses, donkeys, burros and Watusi cattle (with the super long horns.)  We saw every kind of sheep and goat you could imagine.  The mamas with their babies were so cute!  We saw every kind of chicken.  We saw bunnies.  We got to pet baby chicks.  We saw baby chicks at one day, three days, 5 days, 7 days, and 12 days old.  It's amazing how much they grow in just one or two days.  (It REALLY made me want to get some.) We saw a porcupine, an opossum, a mama rat with 11 day-old nursing babies!  We saw a huge 30lb. bunny.  

We saw a wonderful bee exhibit and found the queen bee and watched her lay her eggs.  We bought some honeycomb to eat which was DELICIOUS.  The big girls got to go for a pony ride. Afterwards, Ceci kept saying she wanted to go but when we went to put her on a pony, she totally freaked (like we knew she would!)  :)  

After we had seen literally every animal at the fair, we went to check out the garden area.  It was another long walk.  So we took a tram ride to help us out which was nice.  The garden area was sooooooo pretty!

After that, we found the "going green" section that had eco-friendly booths either selling things or educating.  One of my favorite stores was there, 10,000 Villages, which is a Fair Trade store in Pasadena on Lake Ave.  I highly recommend this store for gifts.  They are such great people and they really help people around the world earn a fair income.  The girls got to meet Smokey Bear and made buttons that they colored.  We also watched a Chinese acrobat show that was super cute.  

The last thing we did was check out a really neat model miniature train village.  It was very big and so cute!  I highly recommend checking it out--I guess its open even after the fair ends.  We had such a nice time.  I would totally go to the LA county fair again only next time, we'll park by the entrance that's near the animals!!!! :)

No comments: