Monday, June 21, 2021

Playin' in the Band


I can't decide if I am proud or embarrassed to post this, but I have started singing in a band.  I'm only embarrassed by it because I am 38 and a mother of three and I'm not sure if I seem crazy!  It started with meeting Dan (on the right side of the photo) back in the Spring.  He has played every Thursday at the So. Pas Farmer's market for a long time now.  Whenever I would go, he would entice me by playing Grateful Dead songs.  Every time I passed by, I would want to stop and harmonize with him.  I resisted the temptation for a few months.  I finally started to talk with him and told him that I used to sing in a band (18 years ago!) called Cubensis.  It turned out Dan used to see us back then and he even recognized me!!  He told me I should start singing with him and his band to which I thought, "No way! I'm a mom!"  This was back in early summer.  I held out for a couple more months (even though I did reunite with Cubensis a couple times.)  Right before we took our trip to Oregon, I sang a few songs with him when I would come by.  We sounded good together!  After our trip, I sang a few more times with him and next thing I knew it was becoming regular!  In October, I met Pat, our lead guitarist.  He is fantastic!  He's married with two sons.  We had a practice at my house with my Dad and my kids running around.  We have been practicing ever since.  As it has turned out, our drummer is none other than my old friend Damon, who drummed with Cubensis with me 18 years ago!  Damon is an amazing drummer.  He and Dan have been friends forever.  Isn't it a small world?  We are going to play at the Pasadena Waldorf school's Elves Faire in November.  My favorite thing about our group is that these guys LOVE Joni Mitchell and have learned several of her songs for me to sing.  We also do originals.  Our goal is to get a bass player so that Dan can play his keyboards instead of rhythm guitar.  We hope to play at lots of family friendly outdoor festivals.10/25/07

No comments: