Monday, June 21, 2021

The Whole Earth Fesitival!






















Last Friday we went to the Whole Earth Festival on the campus of UC Davis.  We got up early on Friday and drove the 6 hours up to the little town just west of Sacramento.  I was sooooooo excited!!  I had never been before, but I knew it was going to be a treat.  The festival is all about caring for our earth-- there were demo's on composting, recycling, solar power, alternative transportation and more.  It was also about just plain having fun!!  There was delicious food, great music (including Morning Glory on Saturday!) and vendors selling wonderful handmade crafts. There was art and clothing of every kind.  There was organic cotton, bamboo, silk and hemp clothing, batik clothing, lots of tie dye, and knitted and crocheted items from natural fibers.  There was ceramic art-- pottery and sculpture, stained glass, and tons of gorgeous jewelry of all kinds--beadwork, casted silver, silver wirework, everything I LOVE.  Anyone who knows me well, knows I died and went to heaven here!!  

We started by eating some DELICIOUS food from "Veggie Heaven." (We were starving!) We got a huge plate of curried rice with veggies, raisins, and cashews with some chutney.  We also got some veggie fritters to go with it with more chutney.   YUM!  One of the coolest things about the Whole Earth Festival (WEF) is that they use no disposable plates, cups, or flatware. They compost all leftovers and charged $1 for plates and cups and 50 cents for flatware.  You could then return your dishes for a refund!  There were lots of students washing the dishes. They have been using the same dishes for the past 7 WEF's!  The students were also gathering the leftovers for compost.

I really wanted to find just the right thing to wear for our performance the next day so I went shopping while Craig took the girls to get some dessert (an organic root beer float, and a chocolate covered frozen banana!)  I LOVE shopping from people that handmade it!!  I was so happy to find the most adorable tie dye top!  It was an eyelet blouse with cute sleeves and some crocheted flowers on the front.  I also bought a couple of tops for Bella and Lala from the same people--they were awesome and we ended up getting to know them pretty well.  They were so cool and their daughter was a 9 year old singing prodigy who sang right before us!

Soon, Pat and Dan arrived and we hung out with them.  A good reggae band was playing and we spent the rest of the evening dancing.  We were SOOOOOOOO excited that we were going to be playing on that very stage the next day!  The girls had a great time walking back and forth on the strip that covered the power cords leading from the stage to the mixing board and dancing with some of the students they met.  When the band ended, a lady started to lead the crowd in some yoga (wish I could've stayed!) but we left to get some dinner at the most delicious vegan Vietnamese restaurant in Sacramento.  By the time we were done, the girls were falling asleep. We all stayed at the same Motel 6.  We were so excited to play the next day!  And NERVOUS!! :)
5/12/08

2 comments:

Heike said...

Greetings Goddess :).
I just happened to land on your blog! I live in Sacramento, and the WEF is one of the best festivals we have here...divine. I went on Sunday, I love browsing all the great vendors, the music, and the energy of saving Mother Earth for our next generation...

saskia said...

oh my goodness I am so excited for you- how fun- I should have sent you some money so you could have gotten me some clothes- I always have to ebay to etsy shop and it's more expensive!