Thursday, March 20, 2008

Making Egg Candles



Today we made egg candles.  I was totally excited to make some this year for Easter (mostly because we found a really cool egg holder at the Salvation Army last month.) And I was lucky enough to get some beeswax from our local honey man for only $4 a pound!  We started by saving the egg shells from breakfast.  I  just broke off the tip to have the rest of the eggshell to use. After melting the wax, I got some wick and dipped it in the liquid wax to make it stiff.  I then poured a tiny bit of wax in the bottom of each egg to stick the wick into, to keep it down and straight. Next, the girls painted olive oil into each eggshell to prevent it from sticking to the wax.  Afterwards, I poured the wax into each egg shell.  The girls really enjoyed it but I do have to admit, there was not a lot they could to do help simply because I didn't want them to get burned!!  They still had fun, but we probably wont do this again until they are old enough to help more. :)

2 comments:

susan said...

Those look so neat!

Tammy said...

We meant to do these this year and never got to it. How long does one of these burn?